Monday, September 15, 2008

School, week 1...

Well Audrey had her first week of Kindergarten.
She was place in a K/1 class at her school. Initially they sat her between 2 first grade boys. After 2 days of school her 3 complaints were

1- didn't like sitting between the 2 boys
2- Cafeteria is tool loud
3- no play time

For the boy situation she complained that they were both trouble makers they always made noise and didn't pay attention. I guess this panned out since one of them got a yellow disciplinary card. I believe they moved the boy on Wednesday .Obviously, nothing you can do about the cafeteria loudness, though it is a bit lame that lunch is at 12:45 when school starts at 8:45. For the play time issues, not sure if that is a function of kindergarten or if things are different in the K/1.

This morning when I left she was saying she wasn't going to go to school. She has 3 other friends from pre-K in her class, but overall she is not having fun. Hard to say if her complaints are due to all day kindergarten vs half day pre-K, or if K/1 class is run different then the K classes. Hopefully, it all settles in since she has another 13 years of school if we have anything to say about it...

We also started soccer this week , which is 2 nights a week. So she is getting quite tired with all the activities.

In 2 weeks we are heading to Laguna Beach for Sarah's 20 year reunion. That will be break for all which should be nice. Still working on finding outfits for Sarah and I ...


Rob

2 comments:

beverly said...

sorry to hear that school isn't fun! IMO that is the primary goal for kindergarten! Unfortunately primary goal for 1st grade sort of has to be to get all the kids reading even if they aren't ready for it. NOT as fun as kindergarten! Our kids had plenty of playtime in kinder - but not nearly as much in 1st grade. Can't believe lunch is so late either - we start at 9.30 and have lunch at 12.30. Lunch everywhere however seems to be LOUD - and not long enough for kindergarteners to really eat. Aidan came home in tears on day 2 his first year due to his distress from lunch. His teacher smoothed things over (let him eat with her for the rest of the week!). I am sure it will get better...

Susie Q said...

Oh Audrey, I'm so sorry sweetie! I have no real words of comfort. I HATED the constant roar of the lunch room throughout my elementary school years. I only found relief in High School when we could sit outside.
Hang tough little one...